I often refer to my mass photo taking habits as "documenting my life", and this, is the written elaboration of that journey. I hope you enjoy reading about the various thoughts, adventures, and encounters of my life

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snowpocolypse or Snowmageddon. Whichever you prefer

So today, Chicago is supposed to be hit by one of the most horrific blizzards in the city's history. Yesterday's Tribune called it "Life Threatening", and there have been reports of what may be 2-4 inches of snowfall per hour, and 24 inches in the next 24 hours.

The blizzard has begun.

It has the potential to shut down Lake Shore Drive as the waves from the lake may be 15-18ft tall, and crash onto the road and turn to ice. Schools and offices have closed early today and plan to stay shut till Thursday. Of course my office, much like my university, is a firm believer of "the show must go on" and has a slim chance of closing, but my team knows better and plans to work from home (thank goodness).

As I sit on the 125 Water Tower Express in route to Union Station, I've started to think about people. Not all the stupid ones that make things more difficult or stressful than necessary, but all the nice and friendly "extras" that accompany the life of a city dweller, or city commuter.

Especially in a time of danger, threat, or crisis, people find a way to bring out the good in others (except for the token asshole who causes problems then eventually finds out he's in the wrong-at lease that's how the movies do it). And when we feel that something out of the ordinary may be happening we as people find a way to bond and take care of one another.

Right now as the snow accumulates and the traction on the roads becomes less and less, I think of my fellow bus travelers not as strangers, but almost as stage extras in this dramatic snowy scene. Instead of men and women on a bus, its the guy with the blue duffle bag, and the working woman playing games on her phone. There's a construction worker with a red cooler, and the girl with the striped backpack. The packers fan (as seen by his hat) and the young girl with headphones in.

When things stop going our way, we start to think of our lives, and other's lives, as something more treasured and precious. We realize that things are out of our control, but that we have the tools and resources to make the most of it.

I'm so glad I left the office at 3, and I hope I make the 3:50 express. But something tells me that this commute home will feel a bit different than how it is every other day of the week.

Be safe everyone! Stay warm, leave early, and hip hip hooray for a city wide snow day.

~Jenna
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment